By Raisa Wickrematunge
Somapala and Co. Ltd. celebrates 60 years of business this month.
Founded in 1950 by the late Somapala Kodituwakku, the company was one of the first to introduce the motor spare parts industry to Panchikawatte, now the heart of auto parts trading in Sri Lanka.
Since the vehicles available in the country were mostly British at the time, Somapala and Co. (S&C) first made a name for itself importing spare parts from UK. By the mid 1950s the company was distributing their products islandwide. Later on the demand for European vehicles grew exponentially and S&C began importing auto parts from France and Germany as well.
Next, Japan began to dominate the motor spare parts market, and once again the company decided to expand their network.
Currently the company imports from China and Japan.
S&C specialises in auto bulbs, ball bearings, brake pads, brake shoes, mirrors, filters and other vehicle body parts and accessories.
From a single building in Panchikawatte, S&C has grown to become established and respected nationwide.
The company’s focus on customer relationships has ensured their continued profitability. S&C aims to become the nation’s leading motor spare parts importer, while promoting local sales competitively. S&C works to foster and maintain customer relationships that have been built over more than half a century.