United States Virginia change
Sri Lanka Breaking News
Sri Lanka parliament
vivalankaSri Lanka newsSri Lanka businessSri Lanka sportsSri Lanka technologySri Lanka travelSri Lanka videosSri Lanka eventssinhala newstamil newsSri Lanka business directory
vivalanka advertising
Stay Connected
Popular Searches
T20 World Cup
Sponsored Links
Sri Lanka Explorer

Main suspect in the Sapugaskanda kidnapping arrested.

Sep 1, 2010 4:22:10 AM - itnnews.lk

The Sapugaskanda Police have arrested the main suspect behind the kidnapping of a boy from Makola.

The suspect was nabbed from Kurunegala. This nine year old boy was abducted last morning. The father of Yasas Rasanjana has lodged a complaint with the Sapugaskanda police about his abduction. The boy who had been kidnapped for a ransom of 800 sand rupees, escaped after he was thrown into the Victoria Tank in Thalathu Oya by his abductors. He had escaped by hanging on to the branch of a tree on the inclined bank. The parents had gone to Kurunegala on the advice of the Police to pay the ransom. A team of officers including the OIC of the Sapugaskanda Crimes Division succeeded in apprehending the suspect who had come to collect the ransom. The suspect is a resident of Kandy. He had been serving in a shop owned by the father of the boy who is a businessman. The boy gave a description on how he was kidnapped and taken in a three wheeler.

The boy said that the suspect had come in a three wheeler and asked him where he was going. Thereafter he replied he was going to the market to purchase some goods. The suspect asked him to get into the trishaw as he too was going to the market to buy goods. Thereafter he was taken towards Kandy. When queried as to why he was going towards Kandy, the suspect replied that his father wanted him to buy a basket of flowers. Thereafter another person who was in the three wheeler took him to the Reservoir and threw him to the stream. Thereafter he managed to escape by hanging on to the branch of a tree on the inclined bank.

The OIC of Sapugaskanda M.P.E. Jayaweera said that this is the first successful operation carried out on a ransom incident within eight hours.