An explosion in a utility room at a Blossom Street high rise sent two electricians to a local hospital this morning.
The electricians were examining the electrical system of the Finlay House, a residential building at 2100 Blossom St., when a 1,000-amp breaker exploded, Columbia Fire Department acting chief Aubrey Jenkins said.
The explosion was in the first-floor electrical room, he said. The electricians might have been in the building because smoke reported there Wednesday was traced to electrical problems, Jenkins said.
One of the electricians' clothing caught fire, but the chief did not know the full extent of any injuries, he said.
The building's power remained out as of 11 a.m. except for a backup generator powering emergency lighting and the fire alarm system, he said.