The Govijana Mandiraya of the Ministry of Agriculture at Battaramulla was ablaze yesterday, it was reported.
The fire originated from the first floor of the five storey building.
Duty Officer of the Fire Brigade, W U I Perera told the media that those in the building had been unable to quench the flames because they did not know how to operate fire extinguishers. The fire brigade was informed at 7:30 am, and arrived 10 minutes later.
Police are conducting investigations. It is said a short circuit was the cause of the blaze.
Photos show the damage caused to the building by the fire.