Buddhist flag - symbol of faith, harmony
Nov 15, 2010 7:00:00 PM - aussieindolanka.com
Adopting the six-colour Buddhist flag, the symbol of faith and harmony as the official flag of the international Buddhist Community was the most significant move at the first session of the World Fellowship of Buddhists (WFB) held in 1950, 60 years ago in Colombo and Kandy.
The Buddhist flag which was born on April 17, 1885 in Sri Lanka as a result of efforts by prominent Buddhist leaders led by Col. Henry Steele Olcott. But the flag remained unknown to the international Buddhist Community besides a few Buddhist countries but with no proper recognition.
In 1949, Buddhist leaders, Venerable monks and laymen came out with the idea of organising an international body of the World Buddhist Community and it was appreciated, supported and promoted by Indian Buddhist leaders such as the father of the Constitution of India Dr Babasahe’s Ambedkar, then General Secretary of the Maha Bodhi Society of India Brahmachari Devapriya Valisinghe and Dr Gunapala Malalasekera of Sri Lanka.
As a result of their efforts, the World Fellowship of Buddhists was established in 1950 and it was inaugurated on May 25 at the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.