65 students of the Highforest Tamil School in Ragala, Nuwara Eliya were hospitalized today after inhaling pesticides. The number of students admitted yesterday was 21.
The students of Nuwara Eliya No: 3 Tamil Vidyalaya had fallen sick in this manner. They had started to vomit and fall unconscious. The students are believed to have fallen sick after they inhaled pesticide vapors sprayed to an adjacent farm. However, Nuwara Eliya Hospital Director Dr. Aruna Jayasekara said that none of the students are in a critical state. The Ragala Police are conducting further investigations regarding the incident. Teachers said that the cultivators did not respond to appeals made to refrain from spraying pesticides to plots close to classrooms as these are occupied by children.