The Paranthan Chemicals Factory which was shut down as a result of terrorist activities will be re-opened.
The opening of a Project office within the factory premises and a tree-planting campaign were organized in parallel to the re-opening of the factory. These activities took place in view of the inauguration of the President’s second term of office. Chairman of the Paranthan Chemicals Company Nimal Abeysiri Perera, Head of the 66th Army Brigade Brigadier Channa Kodithuwakku and the Kilinochchi Additional District Secretary S. Sirinivasan participated in these activities. School gear was dished out to students of the Hindu College in Paranthan. The foundation stone for the Paranthan Chemicals Factory was laid in 1954 by Sir John Kotalawaela the then Prime Minister. Initially Caustic Soda and Liquid Chlorine were produced in 1960 Thereafter it undertook the production of many chemicals. The initiative to revive the Factory which was ravaged in 1983 due to terrorist activities was mooted under the guidance of the President.