Couple safely escapes from Spartanburg County fire
Dec 27, 2010 8:45:00 AM - thestate.com
Authorities say a couple has safely escaped from a Spartanburg County house fire that may have been caused by candles.
WYFF-TV reports that fire department officials say the fire started at around 1 a.m. Monday at a home in the Drayton community.
Witnesses say the home suffered major damage but was still standing when the fire was put out.
Authorities are still investigating the fire, but the Drayton fire chief says candles could be to blame.
It's not known if the candles were being used because power was out in the home. Thousands of residents in the Carolinas were without power over the weekend after a winter storm blanketed the East Coast.
USA, South Carolina: (Latest Stories)