It is revealed that the fire which erupted in the primary division of Anula Vidyalaya Nugegoda was due to the use of fireworks.
The second floor of the building was totally destroyed in the fire which erupted last night. It is believed that a skyrocket had fallen into the physical training center, resulting in the blaze.
An eye witness said he was living adjacent to the school. After receiving a telephone call about some light which appeared from the school, he got on to his roof and saw the building ablaze. He claimed it was he who first saw the fire.
Minister Bandula Gunawardena visited the College this afternoon and inquired into the damage caused to the building.
The Minister said that the Fire Brigade along with the Police had managed to extinguish the fire. He claimed that a massive damage has been caused.
Principal of Anula Balika Vidyalaya, Kalyani Gunasekera said it was the main building of the Primary division, and had some archaeological value. It has been found that the skyrocket had fallen into the building through the window. There were many valuable Gymnastic mattresses. It is believed that the skyrocket had fallen on to these mattresses. She said the damage is estimated at five million rupees.