United States Virginia change
Sri Lanka Breaking News
Sri Lanka parliament
vivalankaSri Lanka newsSri Lanka businessSri Lanka sportsSri Lanka technologySri Lanka travelSri Lanka videosSri Lanka eventssinhala newstamil newsSri Lanka business directory
vivalanka advertising
Stay Connected
Popular Searches
T20 World Cup
Sponsored Links
Sri Lanka Explorer

Government’s onus to provide safe drinking water – President

Jan 18, 2011 10:35:14 AM - itnnews.lk

President Rajapaksa has emphasized that the obligation of the Government was to provide pure potable water for the people. He pointed out that wastage should be avoided as the Government was incurring a heavy expenditure on water.

The President was speaking at a ceremony organized to mark the 125th anniversary of the Labugama Reservoir and the Water Treatment Plant, releasing a commemorative stamp at Temple Trees. The Hungarian Government is giving assistance to improve the Labugama Water Treatment Plant. After the release of the commemorative stamp, the President conversed with a Hungarian delegation.

Conveying the best wishes of the Hungarian President to his Sri Lankan counterpart, the State Secretary of Hungary Dr. Balazs Botos expressed confidence that Sri Lanka would very soon join the ranks of the developed countries. The President clarified at length to the delegation the investment opportunities prevailing in the North and East and on the Government development activities. They broached on the Tourism industry and further solidifying cultural relations between the two countries. Several Parliamentarians were present.

Meanwhile, work on the improvement to the Labugama reservoir and the purification plant will commence tomorrow. The Labugama reservoir was built by constructing a dam across the Wak-Oya in 1882. The supply of water commenced in 1886. In 1912, it was transformed into a fully fledged water purification plant. The Labugama plant was vested in the National Water supply and Draingage Board on 1st June 1978. Earlier, its rehabilitation activities were undertaken with Japanese assistance in 1985.