Jacob Suggs, 13, was studying poetry at home while recovering from the flu when he heard strange sounds coming from the kitchen.
He yelled for his grandmother, Donna Hewett, who was staying with him while his mother was out of town.
When he didn't get an answer, he ran to the kitchen.
"Grandma couldn't speak, and her face was really red," Jacob said. "I knew immediately that she was choking on something."
Jacob went behind his grandmother and began performing the Heimlich maneuver, a life-saving procedure he learned when he joined the Boy Scouts.