United States Virginia change
Sri Lanka Breaking News
Sri Lanka parliament
vivalankaSri Lanka newsSri Lanka businessSri Lanka sportsSri Lanka technologySri Lanka travelSri Lanka videosSri Lanka eventssinhala newstamil newsSri Lanka business directory
vivalanka advertising
Stay Connected
Popular Searches
T20 World Cup
Sponsored Links
Sri Lanka Explorer

Officials: Hot towels caused SC nursing home fire

Mar 9, 2011 7:45:00 AM - thestate.com
Fire officials say towels washed in an alcohol-based fabric softener started the fire that forced 170 residents out of a North Charleston nursing home.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported fire officials said Tuesday the fire Saturday afternoon was caused by a combination of high heat and the fabric softener.

Residents have been staying in area hospitals and other nursing home while the Department of Health and Environmental Control reviews the clean-up effort. Crews are repairing a ceiling, seven sprinkler heads and a ruptured water line.

A fire department spokeswoman says the commercial dryers used at White Oak Manor operate at a higher temperature than machines in homes. She says the towels retained the heat, smoldered and ignited in a closed linen closet.

No serious injuries were reported.

USA, South Carolina: (Latest Stories)