Inquiries are in progress into the fire which broke out in Akuressa early this morning. Our correspondent said that more than 100 shops were gutted in the fire.
The fire broke out at around 5.00 a.m. at the location known as World Trade Fair near the Akuressa bus stand. The Akuressa Police said initial investigations had revealed that the fire had erupted due to an electrical short circuit. It was an arduous task for the Police to extinguish the fire with the support of the residents. It had taken about four hours to bring the fire under control. The Akuressa Traders Association said that there was a delay in the arrival of the Fire Brigade Unit of Galle due to a payment issue. Although the Fire Brigade arrived after a long delay on the orders of the Police, the truck was sent back as the fire had been doused at that time.