United States Virginia change
Sri Lanka Breaking News
Sri Lanka parliament
vivalankaSri Lanka newsSri Lanka businessSri Lanka sportsSri Lanka technologySri Lanka travelSri Lanka videosSri Lanka eventssinhala newstamil newsSri Lanka business directory
vivalanka advertising
Stay Connected
Popular Searches
T20 World Cup
Sponsored Links
Sri Lanka Explorer

Child Dies After Consuming Soft Drink

Apr 14, 2011 3:23:06 PM - thesundayleader.lk

By Janith Aranze

A one and half year old child has died from drinking a soft drink last week and his 21 year old mother is now stable in hospital.
Mother and son both consumed the same soft drink they had brought from a shop in Wellawaya, and it was after drinking it that they complained of nausea and dizziness.
“A couple of days ago a lady and a baby were brought here after they had collapsed after drinking a soft drink and they were immediately rushed for treatment,” Medical Superintendent of Moneragala Hospital, R.M. Rathnayaka, told The Sunday Leader.
“The child suffered cardiac arrest and the doctor treating him said he had suffered an allergic shock. The child died but his mother is now stable, and she has been transferred back to the ward,” Rathnayaka said.  When asked what was in the drink to cause such a reaction and the brand name he said that this information could not be given out.  “We were given the label of the drink and we are aware of the brand, we have given all of our information over to the police.  It would be unethical of us to disclose this information. We are still unsure of what was in the drink; it could have been poison or bacteria,” Rathnayaka told The Sunday Leader.  Investigations are already underway into the infant’s death whereby the circumstances surrounding it should be made clearer.