Child + cigarette lighter = house fire
May 26, 2011 2:27:00 PM - thestate.com
Lexington County Fire Service firefighters determined a child playing with a cigarette lighter started a fire in the bedroom of a Scene Drive home.
Firefighters were called to the mobile home at 2935 Scenic Drive around 9:45 a.m. Thursday and found the bedroom engulfed in flames, the fire service said.
They needed just 10 minutes to put the fire out, but it caused an estimated $3,000 in damage.
Everyone in the house at the time of the fire got out safely, the fire service said.
Battalion Chief John Hendrix said the fire was a good opportunity to remind parents to keep lighters and other fire-starting materials secured away from children and teach children basic fire safety.
USA, South Carolina: (Latest Stories)