Libyan rebels stormed into the capital sparking massive celebrations this morning (22nd August), after a day of heavy fighting in and around the capital.
The rebels took control of the heart of the 42-year regime of Colonel Gadhafi and captured his second-oldest son Seif al-Islam Gadhafi and another son Muhammad surrendered yesterday.
Seif al-Islam who was widely seen as destined to succeed his father as leader of Libya had been issued an arrest warrent in June, by the Hague-based International Criminal Court, on charges of crimes against humanity.
The ICC’s chief prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, said the court will hold talks with the rebels on transferring Seif Gadhafi to its custody.
The ICC had issued similar warrants for Colonel Moammar Gadhafi who according to some reports had been shot, captured or escaped to Algeria. However, other reports say the Libyan dictator had vowed to fight on.
Gadhafi delivered a series of defiant audio messages on state television Sunday evening, acknowledging that the opposition forces were moving into Tripoli and warned that the city would be turned into another Baghdad. He said “The traitors are paving the way for the occupation forces to be deployed in Tripoli,” calling on his supporters to march in the streets of the capital and “purify it” from “the rats.”
Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama said in a statement late Sunday that “Tripoli is slipping from the grasp of a tyrant” and that Gadhafi’s regime “is showing signs of collapsing.” He further said “The future of Libya is now in the hands of the Libyan people.”