Most of the fraternities at the University of South Carolina that were about to offer bids to potential members will be allowed to resume that invitation process on Friday, USC officials said Tuesday after a closed-door meeting to discuss the university’s concerns about fraternities and excessive drinking.
Eleven of the 18 fraternities that are in the invitation or “rush” process will be allowed to proceed, but seven are under sanction and must undergo a review by USC’s Office of Student Conduct before they will be allowed to issue bids to prospective new members.
USC suspended rush last week after a series of alcohol-related incidents and parties that included drinking and strippers. The university’s decision was met with anger by fraternity members, particularly those whose organizations have not been accused of wrongdoing.
On Tuesday evening, USC officials met with alumni of the university who belong to some of the fraternities whose invitation process was halted. The meeting was not open to the public.
“It was a productive conversation,” said Keith Ellis, associate director of Greek life at USC. “We’ve got an opportunity to change the expectations of the men on our campus.”