Sanford declines state's part in Obama health plan
Apr 30, 2010 11:27:00 AM - thestate.com
Gov. Mark Sanford says South Carolina will not operate a new, high-risk health insurance pool for people unable to get private coverage.
Sanford said Friday the Obama administration's new federal program would unfairly strain taxpayers and small businesses in an already cash-strapped state.
The high-risk pools for people unable to get private insurance are part of federal health care reform signed last month by the president. States have until the end of the day Friday to tell Washington if they'll operate their own pools or defer implementation and oversight to the federal government.
Republican governors in Nebraska and Nevada already have opted out of participating in the plan. Both states and South Carolina are part of a lawsuit seeking to overturn health care reform.
USA, South Carolina: (Latest Stories)