An apartment complex that was the scene of a fire in one unit Wednesday was severely damaged this morning by a second fire, displacing all residents.
The Columbia Fire Department was called to the Chimney Ridge Apartments off Brookfield Road about 4:30 a.m. Firefighters arriving 10 minutes later found fire blazing through the roof of the split-level building.
The fire caused about $400,000 in damage and destroyed the roof, interim Chief Aubrey Jenkins said. All units suffered either smoke, fire or water damage and all residents have been displaced, he said.
He wasn't sure how many of the units were occupied and how many individuals have been affected. The Red Cross was at the scene helping families find new, temporary homes and other necessities.