The dawning of July 1 will represent more than the beginning of a new fiscal year in South Carolina this year, lawmakers said Wednesday. It will represent a new way of doing business in this state thanks to Gov. Mark Sanford's success in getting lawmakers to agree to his cuts to the state's budget.
Like troops on a mission, the House of Representatives did its part to enact nearly $300 million in new cuts to the size of state government, whacking agencies that deliver health care to the indigent, protection against fraud and unfair business practices to S.C. consumers and training tools for budding young students.
Sanford claimed a long-sought victory in the House’s action early today, applauding the body for sustaining the most budget vetoes in any year since the Carroll Campbell administration, carrying with it the highest dollar savings in state history.
Sanford said the House agreed to 51 of his 107 vetoes, worth about $48 million in cuts, and early this morning, the House also agreed to cut the entire Part IV budget provision that solely depended on money yet to arrive from Washington, D.C. , for what the governor said could amount to $261 million in cuts. Sanford issued 10 budget vetoes in last year and the General Assembly rejected all 10.