AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa on Saturday June 19th listed an 18 point request to help Tamils in Sri Lanka. "The Centre and the Tamil Nadu governments must ensure that the Lankan government fulfills these promises and resettles the Tamils," she said in a statement released in Chennai.
Ms. Jayalalithaa said Tamil Nadu Gov. conducting Tamil Classical Conference in Coimbatore under the present circumastaneces is totally unnecessary, and called for the implementation of the following 18 points to alleviate immediate difficulties of Tamils in Sri Lanka:
AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa
1) Still there are still 100,000 people languishing in camps in Sri Lanka North. They should be accorded with resettlement and rehabilitation.
2) It is imperative that resettled people are provided with adequate relief supplies.
3) Scorched agro lands must be restored.
4) Re-construct destroyed water resources
5) Provide education for people
6) Inaugurate new educational institutions
7) Construct new educational facilities
8) Renovate and repair educational facilities
9) Enable rehabilitation of women widowed during the war
10) Provide counseling and assistance to sexually abused women and children during the war
11) Renovate temples, churches and mosques
12) Take measures to curtail temples and churches being converted into Buddhist monasteries
13) Provide medical assistance and rehabilitation to those became incapacitated during the war
14) As the number of males have dwindled, alleviate the stress encountered by women
15) Empower women through businesses run by women
16) Assure all relief assistance is properly reaches Tamil people
17) Allow Non-Governmental Organizations to operate there
18) Grant permission for media persons to meet Tamils.