Sri Lanka stop Dilshan from joining NSW
Jun 24, 2010 8:00:00 PM - aussieindolanka.com
New South Wales will look to the West Indies and New Zealand for an overseas player after Sri Lanka blocked Tillakaratne Dilshan from playing in the 2010-11 Big Bash. Dilshan, the explosive opener, signed with the Blues in March but his country wants him to avoid any unnecessary setbacks before next year’s World Cup.
The move is a blow to the Blues and a spokesman said they had already started searching for a replacement after learning of the development over the past week. Nishantha Ranatunga, the Sri Lanka Cricket secretary, said their contract holders would not be able to play in overseas domestic leagues before the World Cup in February.
"The board has taken the position in consultation with the selectors and coaching staff," Ranatunga told Cricinfo. "The players will be focusing on the World Cup in 2011 and the decision has been made not to release any of them for any domestic tournament."
Dilshan was Northern Districts’ overseas signing last season in New Zealand’s domestic Twenty20 competition before planning his switch to Australia. He has scored at a strike-rate of 120.50 in 31 Twenty20 internationals, but New South Wales will still have a powerful top order including the locals David Warner, Phillip Hughes and Phil Jaques.