A lawsuit has been resolved over an attempt to keep two Republican South Carolina nominees off the Nov. 2 general election ballot for failing to meet a filing deadline, an attorney for the woman who filed the lawsuit said Monday.
The lawsuit was resolved just two days before a judge was set to hear arguments.
Candidates for statewide office in South Carolina are required to file their statements of economic interest electronically with the State Ethics Commission by April 15. The disclosures show who is paying officeholders and candidates and other details about their finances. They can help voters and the public form opinions about financial relationships.
In June, a woman filed a lawsuit saying Republican attorney general nominee Alan Wilson and GOP adjutant general nominee Bob Livingston should not be allowed on the ballot because they had missed that deadline, according to filing information then available online.
But Jonathan Holder, an attorney who represents Nancy Seufert, a volunteer secretary for the Dorchester County Democratic Party, said Monday that the lawsuit had been resolved. He said his client received a sworn statement from the Ethics Commission's executive director explaining that paper copies of the economic interest statements had been filed on time with the state Republican Party, which then forwarded the information to the Ethics Commission.