6 weeks later, SC crews still battle forest fire
Jul 26, 2010 9:00:00 AM - thestate.com
Crews are expected to stay busy again this week fighting a forest fire that broke out on the South Carolina coast six weeks ago.
Multiple media outlets report that state Forestry Commission spokesman Scott Hawkins says the fire is contained but there may be heavy smoke this week in Horry County near Conway.
The fire was caused by a lightning strike June 14.
Hawkins says the recent hot, dry weather has wiped out any advantage from earlier rains.
A wildfire last year in Horry County caused $25 million in damages, scorching more than 30 square miles and destroying 70 homes.
USA, South Carolina: (Latest Stories)