Man charged with terrorism after deadly Oslo attack

- colombogazette.com

A 42-year-old man has been arrested and charged with murder, attempted murder and terrorist acts, after a shooting in the centre of Norway’s capital, Oslo.

Two people were killed and 21 injured in the attack on a busy nightlife district.

There was gunfire at about 01:00 local time (23:00 GMT) on Saturday, in three locations including a gay bar.

Shots were fired at the London Pub, a popular LGBTQ+ venue, and near the Herr Nilsen jazz club and a takeaway.

Oslo’s annual Pride parade was due to be held on Saturday, but has been cancelled following police advice.

“We will soon be proud and visible again, but today, we will share our Pride celebrations from home,” a statement on the Oslo Pride website said.

Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere called it a “terrible and deeply shocking attack on innocent people”.

“I saw a man arrive with a bag, he picked up a gun and started to shoot,” journalist Olav Roenneberg of public broadcaster NRK said.

One witness in the London Pub told NRK that he had been hit by flying glass.

“I was in the outer bar in London when it happened. I just noticed that a shot was fired, and I was hit by a shard of glass. There were more and more and more shots, so I escaped into the inner bar and tried to get as many as possible with me,” he said.

“At first people did not understand what was happening, but then there was panic.”

In a Facebook post, the team at the London Pub called the shooting “absolutely horrific and pure evil”.

“Our thoughts go to the dead, injured and relatives,” it added. “All employees… are safe and physically unharmed. Take care of each other during this time.”

A woman told the Verdens Gang newspaper that the gunman had taken careful aim at his targets. “When I understood that it was serious, I ran. There was a man covered in blood motionless on the floor,” she said.

Another man told the newspaper he had seen a lot of people on the ground with head wounds.

Norway’s Justice Minister Emilie Enger Mehl said the incident had shaken the country.

“Norway is a community of trust where everyone should feel safe outside on a Saturday night,” she said, according to NRK. (Courtesy BBC)

You may also like

- adaderana.lk

Ten members of Sri Lanka s Commonwealth Games contingent in Birmingham have disappeared in a suspected attempt to remain in Britain, a top sports official from the island nation told AFP on Sunday.

- adaderana.lk

Litro Gas company has become a profit-making institution in July this year for the first time in several years, according to Litro chairman Muditha Peiris.

- economynext.com

Gross profits rose 41 percent to 3.5 billion rupees in the quarter

- economynext.com

For the first time since April, the country did not cut power on Aug 06-07 due to hydropower generation

- island.lk

SL too on agenda BY S VENKAT NARAYAN Our Special Correspondent  NEW DELHI, August 6: India is maintaining a studied “loud silence” on the tensions between China and the United States and the developments in the Taiwan Straits in the wake of US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s controversial visit to Taipei last week. The decision […]

- adaderana.lk

SJB Parliamentarian Eran Wickramaratne assures that the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) would support the government when they follow the right policy and certainly the government will receive its support on economic and financial matters.

Entertainment:View All

Technology:View All

Local News

Local News

Sri Lanka News

@2022 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Rev-Creations, Inc