Artemis Moon rocket second launch attempt called off

- colombogazette.com

The launch of Nasa’s new Artemis I Moon rocket is facing a potentially lengthy delay after a second postponement.

Controllers tried and failed again on Saturday to get the Space Launch System (SLS) vehicle to lift off. They were thwarted by a fuel leak.

Engineers now want to inspect the rocket, and any repairs may need to happen in the workshop rather than on the launch pad.

The whole process is certain to lead to a setback of several weeks.

It means we may not see a third launch attempt before mid-October at the earliest.

The SLS is the most powerful rocket ever developed by the US space agency, and is designed to send astronauts and their equipment back to the Moon after an absence of 50 years.

Much of the enormous thrust comes from burning almost three million litres of super-cold liquid hydrogen and oxygen in four big engines on the vehicle’s underside.

But when controllers sent the command early on Saturday morning to fill the rocket’s hydrogen tank, an alarm went off, indicating there was a leak.

The problem was traced to the connection where the hydrogen was being pumped into the vehicle.

Controllers tried a number of fixes, including allowing the hardware to warm up for short periods to reset the seal, but they were not successful.

The Artemis I mission is uncrewed, but Nasa’s Artemis mission manager Mike Sarafin said the rocket’s future role in human spaceflight meant extreme care was still required in its operation.

“This is an incredibly hard business. This is an initial test flight of this vehicle. As was said: we’re going to fly when we’re ready. And as part of this initial test flight, we’re learning the vehicle; we’re learning how to operate the vehicle,” he told reporters.

His boss, Nasa Administrator Bill Nelson, agreed: “I look at this as a part of our space programme, of which safety is the top of the list.”

The leaky seal on the SLS could conceivably be fixed on the launch pad. But there are batteries in the termination system used to destroy the rocket in the event of a wayward launch that will require recertification beyond this coming week, and this can only be done in the workshop.

Rolling the vehicle back to the engineering building makes a third lift-off attempt before mid-October unlikely.

“In order to test our batteries, change out the batteries, we have to roll back,” said Jim Free, Nasa’s associate administrator for exploration systems development.

Saturday’s attempt to despatch the SLS rocket had been scheduled for the start of a two-hour window beginning at 14:17 local time (19:17 BST; 18:17 GMT).

The 100m-tall vehicle’s objective is to hurl a human-rated capsule, called Orion, in the direction of the Moon, something that hasn’t happened since Project Apollo ended in 1972.

Nasa had first tried to launch the rocket on Monday. That attempt was waved off when controllers couldn’t be sure the four big engines at the base of the core-stage were at the correct operating temperature.

Frustratingly, subsequent analysis indicated that a sensor was almost certainly outputting inaccurate readings. The power units, in all probability, were in absolutely the right condition to go fly.

When the SLS does get away, it is sure to be a spectacular sight.

“It’s gonna be ‘shuttle on steroids’,” said Doug Hurley, who was the pilot on the very last shuttle mission in 2011.

The former astronaut now works for Northrop Grumman who make the big white solid boosters on the sides of the SLS.

“What I always thought was the coolest thing about shuttle launches was you saw it lift off and it was well clear of the tower before you heard anything, and then it was even a little longer before you felt it,” he explained.

“Thrust to weight-wise, SLS is pretty close to what shuttle was. Apollo’s Saturn V rocket was drastically different. I never saw it in person but it lumbered clear of the pad. For shuttle, it seemed like it was clear in an instant, almost as soon as the boosters were lit. SLS should be the same,” he told BBC News. (Courtesy BBC)

You may also like

- onlanka.com

The Paris Club Creditors have provided the required financing assurances to support the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) approval for the Extended Fund Facility for Sri Lanka.The post Paris Club Creditors provides financing assurances to support IMF bailout for Sri Lanka appeared first on Sri Lanka News - Latest Breaking News in Sri Lanka - ONLANKA News.

- colombogazette.com

India is seen as the biggest friend of Sri Lanka in a time of crisis, Prime Minister Dinesh Gunawardena said. Addressing the Tata Tiscon Dealer Convention 2023 in Colombo, Prime Minister Dinesh Gunawardena called on the Indian companies to invest further in Sri Lanka. Outlining the benefits of Indian investments in Sri Lanka, Prime Minister […]

- colombogazette.com

The Paris Club Creditors have provided financing assurances to support the International Monetary Fund’s approval of an Extended Fund Facility for Sri Lanka, the President’s Media Division said. The Paris Club Creditors announced their decision to provide financing assurances to support the approval by the IMF Executive Board of the envisaged IMF program for Sri […]

- colombogazette.com

A Host Country Agreement was signed between the Government of Sri Lanka and the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) progressing Sri Lanka’s climate action and further deepening Sri Lanka’s green growth development. The agreement was signed in the presence of President Ranil Wickremesinghe and Former Secretary General of the UN and the President of the […]

- colombogazette.com

The Vedda community has decided to contest the elections as an independent group. Vedda chief Uruwarige Wannila Aththo said that they will not join hands with any political party. Instead, the community will contest as an independent group. Uruwarige Wannila Aththo said that they hope to set an example to existing political parties. (Colombo Gazette)

- colombogazette.com

The US Embassy has issued a demonstration alert for visitors in Colombo tomorrow. The Embassy said that it is aware of planned demonstrations tomorrow (February 8), which may make travel around Colombo more difficult or result in road closures. The Embassy said that the National Buddhist Monks Front plans to protest at Victoria Park at […]

Entertainment:View All

Technology:View All

Local News

Local News

Sri Lanka News

@2022 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Rev-Creations, Inc