Man charged over Queen coffin incident

- colombogazette.com

A 28-year-old man has been charged with a public order offence after allegedly leaving the queue of mourners to approach the Queen’s coffin on Friday.

Muhammad Khan, from Tower Hamlets in east London, will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

The Metropolitan Police said he was charged under the Public Order Act.

The live video feed of Westminster Hall cut away when the incident occurred at around 22:00 BST.

A statement from the Met Police said: “Muhammad Khan, 28, of Barleycorn Way, Tower Hamlets, was charged on Saturday, September 17, with an offence under Section 4A of the Public Order Act; behaviour intending to cause alarm, harassment or distress.

“He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday, September 19.”

He is the second person to be charged with committing an offence while in the queue to see the Queen lying in state.

A 19-year-old man was charged after allegedly exposing himself and pushing into mourners from behind as they waited in the line at Victoria Tower Gardens on Wednesday.

Adio Adeshine was charged with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of breaching a sexual harm prevention order. He will appear at Southwark Crown Court on 14 October.

The late Queen Elizabeth II will remain in Westminster Hall until the day of her funeral on Monday. (Courtesy BBC)

You may also like

- island.lk

SJB, SLPP rebels to boycott opening of new parliamentary session By Saman Indrajith The main Opposition party, the SJB, and the dissident SLPP MPs have decided to boycott the ceremonial opening of the Fourth session of the Ninth Parliament by President Ranil Wickremessinghe today. President Ranil Wickremesinghe declared, on January 26, that he would brief Parliament […]

- island.lk

Softlogic Life recorded a superior full year performance in a crisis-affected business landscape, posting Gross Written Premium (GWP) of Rs. 23,083 million for the year ended 31 December 2022 with an increase in top-line growth of 15% compared to the corresponding period of last year. The Company has stood firmly with its policyholders in the […]

- island.lk

Wednesday 8th February, 2023 The Rajapaksa-Wickremesinghe regime is all out to derail the local government (LG) elections scheduled for 09 March. The Election Commission (EC) is determined to ensure that the country goes to the polls as scheduled, and the Opposition is bragging that the government’s plan to delay the mini polls has gone pear-shaped, […]

- island.lk

by Neville Ladduwahetty (This is an updated version of an article which first appeared in The Island on 16 March 2009. It is republished because of its relevance to the intention of the current government to implement the13th Amendment fully. The defeat of the LTTE is not expected to bring a closure to Sri Lanka’s […]

- island.lk

Church governance and Anglicanism By S. Ratnajeevan H. Hoole In our Universities Act, there is provision for a University Council to forward three names for the post of Vice Chancellor and for the President to pick any one of the three. It is a necessary check and balance since a Council tends to favour its […]

- island.lk

By Harim Peiris The United States, under-secretary of state for political affairs Victoria Nuland was visiting Sri Lanka last week and dominating her agenda with the government has been the core issue of restructuring the Sri Lankan government’s foreign debt, on which it has defaulted, which stands at the heart of our recovery from bankruptcy. […]

Entertainment:View All

Technology:View All

Local News

Local News

Sri Lanka News

@2022 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Rev-Creations, Inc